Top-coated thermal substrates are direct thermal labels with a protective coating designed to prevent contamination of the thermally-printed image from any condensation, fats, grease, solvents and plasticisers from packaging films that the labelled product may come into contact with during transportation and storage.
Top-coated grades are usually found in supermarkets on fresh and frozen products. They are principally used for pre-packed meat and cheese that requires an individual description and barcode.
Applications and Benefits include
- High image resistance these thermal materials have a protective top-coating that reduces fading of the thermal image.
- Improves life of thermal print-heads: The protective top-coating reduces or eliminates residue from the thermal coating on the thermal print heads, boosting the life of the thermal print-heads.
- Sharp and clear print image: The top-coating provides better anchorage of flexographic printing inks applied to the thermal paper. It also focuses the heat from the thermal print head on the active coating resulting in much sharper print results.
- Available with a wide range of adhesives: Choose from permanent, removable, freezer and hotmelt adhesives to suit most labelling applications.
- ISEGA and/or FDA approved adhesives for direct and indirect food contact: Certain adhesive/product combinations are ISEGA and/or FDA approved for either direct or indirect food contact.